Friday, July 10, 2009

Vodcasting

3 Vodcasting Ideas:

1. Current Events Debate-- In my classroom, we begin each day with reading the newspaper and discussing current events. These discussions often turn into debates, which I think would be a great way to utilize vodcasting. Students could break up into teams based on their position, do some research on the internet, and share their information they found via vodcast.

2. Anger Management Skills-- Since my classroom blends academics and therapy together, we often do a writing assignment along with group therapy sessions. Students could vodcast various anger management strategies that they use and the other students can view the vodcasts to get new ideas for helping control their anger.

3. Pre-Algebra--Most of the kids in my class are in pre-algebra level math, but because of meetings and individual therapy sessions throughout the day, lessons often get interrupted and students end up missing their math lessons. Trying to catch everyone up is a difficult task. Students who work faster and have a good understanding of the math lesson can make a vodcast of the particular math lesson for other students to use.

2 comments:

  1. Your ideas are really good. I personally like the idea of the math lesson. The students that are proficient in that particular pre-algebra skill can teach the skill to the students that missed the lesson. I really like that. I was in a partial hospitalization classroom for a couple of years. I know how it goes with the students missing lessons because they have individual sessions with the therapist or the psychologist, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your math idea as well. I was trying to think of a way to use it for math and I wasn't coming up with anything.

    I used a podcast for a persuasive writing assignment and the kids really liked it. They enjoyed working with the headsets and hearing what they sounded like. I bet your debate idea would work nicely.

    Another idea that you might consider is using it to have the kids "publish" a readers theater. The kids create the sound tracks so they practice fluency and then they have to edit everyone's to come up with an entire readers theater.

    ReplyDelete